About Sights – Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park

Covering more than 85,000 hectares of native forest and alpine meadows, the Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park (Georgian: ბორჯომ-ხარაგაულის ეროვნული პარკი) in central Georgia is one of the largest National Parks in Europe. In Medieval times the area covered by the park was used by Georgian nobles for hunting. The park was created with the support of the World … Continue reading

About Sights – Chachuna Managed Reserve

Established in 1965, the 5200 hectares Chachuna Managed Reserve (Georgian: ჭაჭუნას აღკვეთილი) is located near the border with Azerbaijan in the south-eastern part of Georgia. The landscape is mainly arid and semi-arid but also contains a wetland area. Wildlife watching, botanical, photographic and environmental tours can be arranged and visitors can rent a tent and sleeping … Continue reading

About Sights – Mtirala National Park

Established in 2007, Mtirala National Park (Georgian: მტირალას ეროვნული პარკი) is situated in Georgia’s Ajara region, between the Black Sea and the western part of the Adjara Mountain Range. Covering 15,698 hectares, the park was created to preserve the Colchic type of mixed beech, lime, chestnut, alder and hornbeam and beech forests. With an average … Continue reading

About Sights – Romanov Palace in Likani

The Romanov Palace (also known as Likani Palace) was designed by Leopold Bilfeldt as a summer mansion for Grand Duke Nicholas Mikhailovich of Russia. Built by the famous architect Leonti Nikolajewitsch Benois (Leon Benoise) between the years of 1892-95, the palace is situated on the bank of the Mtkvari River in Likani (Georgian: ლიკანი) in Samtskhe-Javakheti region. … Continue reading

About Sights – The Palace of King Erekle II in Telavi

“Batonis Tsikhe” (fortress of master) in Telavi (Georgian: თელავი) in Kakheti region is considered to be the best preserved medieval royal palace in Georgia. Built by King Archil in 1667-1675, it was the residence of Kakhetian kings during the 17th and 18th centuries. The site was expanded in the second half of the 18th century by King Erekle II (Georgian: … Continue reading

About Sights – Tsinandali Museum

Tsinandali (Georgia: წინანდალი) was the home of 19th-century aristocratic poet Alexander Chavchavadze (Georgian: ალექსანდრე ჭავჭავაძე) (1786–1846). Constructed in the style of an Italianate palace in 1835, the house and its gardens became a museum in 1947. Chavchavadze was a member of the Georgian nobility and during his life he was a writer, military leader, diplomat, public figure and inventor. A … Continue reading

About Sights – History of Georgia Monument

Located near Tbilisi Sea, the “History of Georgia” monument was created by the Georgian sculptor Zurab Konstantines dze Tsereteli (Georgian: ზურაბ კონსტანტინეს ძე წერეთელი). The monument chronicles Georgian history. The top part of the 30 meter tall columns feature kings, queens and heroes and the bottom part depict stories from the life of Christ. Construction … Continue reading

About Sights – Zhiuli Shartava Senaki Museum

The Zhiuli Shartava Senaki Museum in the town of Senaki (Georgian: სენაკი) in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region contains a collection of over 2,000 items from the Late Bronze Age up to the 20th century. Museum address: 150, Shota Rustaveli Str., 4100, Senaki Opening hours: Everyday, except Monday, 10.00 – 18.00. Entrance is free. CLICK on the logo … Continue reading

About Sights – Vanis Kvabebi Cave Monastery

Vanis Kvabebi (Georgian: ვანის ქვაბები) is a cave monastery in Samtskhe-Javakheti region near the more famous cave city of Vardzia. Begun in the eighth century, the monastery complex consists of 16 levels of cells, storerooms and stair tunnels.  There are two churches in the complex, including a small domed church that clings to the rock … Continue reading

About Sights – The Elene Akhvlediani House-Museum

Elene Akhvlediani (Georgian: ელენე ახვლედიანი) (1898–1975) was a 20th century Georgian painter, graphic artist, costume designer and theater decorator. Akhvlediani is particularly known for her beautiful depictions of Georgian towns. A year after her death, a museum was established in the house that she lived in. The Elene Akhvlediani House-Museum contains over three thousand items related … Continue reading

About Sights – The Martvili Regional Museum

Originally opened in 1957 and recently refurbished, the Martvili Regional Museum (Georgian: მარტვილის მუზეუმი) in the town of Martvili (Georgian: მარტვილი) in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region of Western Georgia houses a collection of over 55,000 exhibits. The museum’s collection includes items from the early Stone and Bronze Age period, traditional costume, traditional household items, weapons, manuscripts … Continue reading

About Sights – Borjomi Museum of Local History

The Borjomi Museum of Local History (Georgian: ბორჯომის მხარეთმცოდნეობის მუზეუმი) in the resort town of Borjomi (Georgian: ბორჯომი) in Samtskhe-Javakheti region is housed in the building initially designed as the chancellery of the Imperial House of the Romanovs. Pseudo-Gothic in style, it was built in 1890 by the German architect-designer V. Shveier. The museum is one of the … Continue reading

About Sights – Tsalenjikha Cathedral Church of the Transfiguration of Savior

Built in the 12th-14th centuries, the Tsalenjikha Cathedral Church of the Transfiguration of Savior (Georgian: წალენჯიხის მაცხოვრის ფერისცვალების საკათედრო ტაძარი) is located in the town of Tsalenjikha (Georgian: წალენჯიხა) in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region. The cathedral is a central cross-domed church with a narthex (an entrance or lobby area typical of early Christian and Byzantine churches) … Continue reading

About Sights – Church of the Virgin Mary in Birkiani

The Georgian Orthodox Church of the Virgin Mary in the village of Birkiani in Akhmeta municipality in Georgia’s Kakheti region was built in the 8th-9th century but has decayed over time and little remains of the original stone construction. Trees have grown on top of the church making it look like it was purposely built in … Continue reading

About Achievements – Restoration of Kvetera Church

Kvetera Church (Georgian: კვეტერის ეკლესია) is located on the top of a hill within the remaining fragments of the walls of Kvetera Fortress near the town of Akhmeta, in Kakheti region. Built in the early part of the 10th century, it is a relatively small church built of local tuffa stone to a tetraconch design (four-apse cross … Continue reading

About Sights – Dzveli Shuamta Monastery

Dzveli (“old”) Shuamta Monastery is located in a small clearing in the middle of a deciduous forest on Tsivgombori Mountain near the city of Telavi in Kakheti region. The Monastery got its name because of its location – “Shuamta’’ means ‘among the mountains’. Prior to their recent restoration, the churches were in a state of neglect. … Continue reading