About Sights – The Martvili Regional Museum
Originally opened in 1957 and recently refurbished, the Martvili Regional Museum (Georgian: მარტვილის მუზეუმი) in the town of Martvili (Georgian: მარტვილი) in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region of Western Georgia houses a collection of over 55,000 exhibits.
The museum’s collection includes items from the early Stone and Bronze Age period, traditional costume, traditional household items, weapons, manuscripts and charters from the 18th-19th centuries, around 5,000 books and publications from the 19th-20th centuries, as well as paintings of contemporary artists including Lado Gudiashvili’s “Samaya”.
The museum aims to become a regional cultural centre and has developed a Cultural Educational Program to support this.
Exhibits include gold coins from 4th-2nd centuries BC and a silver coin collection from the 10th-18th centuries.
How to get there? The town of Martvili is located in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region of Western Georgia, about 280 km from Tbilisi.
All photos courtesy of the Georgian National Museum.