About Sights – The Palace of King Erekle II in Telavi

“Batonis Tsikhe” (fortress of master) in Telavi (Georgian: თელავი) in Kakheti region is considered to be the best preserved medieval royal palace in Georgia. Built by King Archil in 1667-1675, it was the residence of Kakhetian kings during the 17th and 18th centuries. The site was expanded in the second half of the 18th century by King Erekle II (Georgian: … Continue reading

About Sights – Narikala Castle at Night

Narikala (Georgian: ნარიყალა) is an ancient fortress on a steep hill overlooking the Mtkvari River in Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia. At night, the walls and towers of this imposing castle are illuminated, creating a dramatic backdrop to the balconied houses of the Old Town. The fortress overlooks the bow shaped Bridge of Peace (Georgian: მშვიდობის ხიდი) pedestrian bridge that spans the Mtkvari … Continue reading

About Sights – Aerial Photographs of Gori Fortress

Gori Fortress (Georgian: გორის ციხე) is a 13th century castle, situated on a hill above the city of Gori (Georgian: გორი) in the Shida Kartli region of eastern Georgia. It was captured by the Ottomans in the 16th century and then continually changed hands between the Turks, the Georgians, and the Persians. Much of the … Continue reading

About Sights – Atskuri Fortress

Built in the 10th century, Atskuri Fortress (Georgian: აწყურის ციხე) occupied a highly defensible position on a rocky outcrop overlooking the Mtkvari River, near Borjomi in Samtskhe-Javakheti region. Atskuri was the last of the major fortifications along the Mtkvari River and of significant strategic importance. If it fell, southern Georgia would be open to enemy … Continue reading

About Sights – Khikhani Fortress

Khikhani Fortress (ხიხანის ციხესიმაგრე) in Khulo district of Ajara was built in the 13th century A.D. Inaccessible from three sides, the fortress occupied a strategic position and retained its military function for 700 years. It is believed that the site was originally occupied by a church (the Church of St. George) built in 1230 A.D. … Continue reading

About Sights – Petra Fortress

Petra Fortress (Georgian: პეტრას ციხე) is located in the village of Tsikhisdziri in the Kobuleti district of Ajara. Built during the 6th century A.D., it held an important strategic position at the crossroads of the route linking Georgia with Iran and Armenia. The fortress is one of the most significant monuments on the entire eastern coast … Continue reading

About Sights – Ujarma Fortress

Established by King Vakhtang Gorgasali in the 5th century, Ujarma Fortress (Georgian: უჯარმა ციხე) was the second capital of Georgia until the 8th century. King Vakhtang Gorgasali is believed to have died there after he was wounded in battle against the Persians. The fortress consisted of two parts: the Upper Fortress (the Citadel) located on … Continue reading

About Sights – Narikala Fortress

Narikala (Georgian: ნარიყალა) is an ancient fortress on a steep hill overlooking Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia, and the Mtkvari River. The fortress was established in the 4th century and considerably expanded over subsequent centuries. Much of what remains today dates from the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1827, parts of the fortress were damaged by an earthquake and demolished. … Continue reading

  • Emergencies Control Center in Tbilisi

  • Sarpi Border Checkpoint

  • Shatili - Khevsureti

  • Traditional Tushetian balconied house (“Karseani”).

  • View of Mtskheta from Jvari Monastery

  • The village of Gebi in Svaneti

  • Page from the Illustrated London News dated 1873 - entitled 'Betrothal in Georgia'