About Sights – Martvili Monastery

Martvili Monastery (Georgian: მარტვილის მონასტერი) is a monastic complex located in the village of Martvili in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region. The hill on which it stands was a former pagan site associated with fertility and prosperity. The Martvili-Chkondidi Cathedral was constructed in the late 7th century on top of the roots of an enormous oak tree … Continue reading

About Sights – Tbilisi Sioni Cathedral

The Sioni Cathedral of the Dormition (Georgian: სიონის ღვთისმშობლის მიძინების ტაძარი) in Tbilisi was originally built in the 6th and 7th centuries but was subsequently destroyed by foreign invaders and reconstructed several times. The current church is based on a 13th-century version. Named after Mount Zion at Jerusalem, it is commonly known as the “Tbilisi … Continue reading

About Sights – Tbilisi’s Traditional Architecture

Tbilisi’s traditional houses, with their wooden and wrought iron balconies, are undeniably beautiful and one of the city’s best known historical features. Many of the houses date from the 19th century as much of the city was destroyed by the devastating Persian invasion of 1795. Closer inspection often reveals weathered beams, peeling paint and potentially … Continue reading

About Sights – Mutso

Mutso (Georgian: მუცო) is one of the former Khevsur strongholds of the historic Georgian province of Khevsureti (now part of Mtskheta-Mtianeti region) in north-eastern Georgia. Its medieval fortified dwellings and towers are arranged on vertical terraces above the Mutso-Ardoti gorge. Recent restoration work by the National Agency for Cultural Heritage Preservation will help to preserve … Continue reading

About Sights – Pastel colored houses and balconies of Tbilisi’s Old Town

Tbilisi’s Old Town (Georgian: ძველი თბილისი) is renowned for its picturesque pastel colored wooden and traditional brick houses with open, carved balconies. The houses are mainly 19th century as much of the city was destroyed by the devastating Persian invasion of 1795. Much of the Old Town has been restored under a scheme introduced by … Continue reading

About Sights – Tbilisi’s Old Town District

Tbilisi’s Old Town (Georgian: ძველი თბილისი) is one of the oldest parts of the city and nestles on the mountainside under Narikala fortress (Georgian: ნარიყალა). The Old Town is part of the Tbilisi Historic District and contains a number of officially designated monuments, churches, cobbled streets and picturesque pastel colored wooden houses with open, carved … Continue reading

About History – Freedom Square in Tbilisi

Freedom Square (Georgian: თავისუფლების მოედანი) in the center of Tbilisi has undergone several name changes in its 200 year history. Built in the early 19th century in a neo-classical style with Moorish architectural elements, it was originally named Pashkevich-Erivanskaya Square (Georgian: ერევანსკი მოედანი) in honor of Ivan Paskevich, a Ukrainian general of the Russian Imperial … Continue reading

About Architecture – The Bank of Georgia Headquarters

The Bank of Georgia headquarters (Georgian: საქართველოს ბანკის სათავო ოფისი) was built in 1975 to house the Ministry of Roads. Situated on a wooded site by the Mtkvari River in Tbilisi, the 18-storey building was designed by architects Giorgi Chakhava and Zurab Jalaghania and consists of a monumental grid of interlocking concrete forms built in … Continue reading

About Architecture – Silknet Sales Office in Tbilisi

The Silknet sales office in Tbilisi was designed by Architects of Invention Ltd and has a theme of a ‘transmitter’ – a device for transferring information. The futuristic styling of the ‘Transmitter’ desk reflects Silknet’s role as a leading telecommunications and entertainment company in Georgia. Photos courtesy of Silknet/Architects of Invention Ltd. CLICK on the logo … Continue reading

About Architecture – Old Photographs of the Dinamo Stadium in Tbilisi

Designed by Archil Kurdiani, the Dinamo stadium in Tbilisi was completed in 1935 and had a capacity for 23,000 spectators. It has been reconstructed several times and is now known as the Boris Paichadze Dinamo Arena. CLICK on the logo to visit GEORGIA ABOUT on Facebook and see photos and news about Georgia. Click LIKE on the page and become a friend of GEORGIA … Continue reading

About Architecture – Contemporary Styled Restaurant at Sataplia

The stunning, contemporary styled restaurant at the Sataplia Nature Reserve in Tskaltubo district, near Kutaisi (Georgian: ქუთაისი), in Imereti region was designed by Georgian architects “TOURBILLION”. The Sataplia Nature Reserve was set up in 1935 to protect the five caves and dinosaur footprints found in the area. Sataplia means ‘place of honey’. The restaurant, together … Continue reading

About Sights – Romanov Palace in Likani

The Romanov Palace (also known as Likani Palace) was designed by Leopold Bilfeldt as a summer mansion for Grand Duke Nicholas Mikhailovich of Russia. Built by the famous architect Leonti Nikolajewitsch Benois (Leon Benoise) between the years of 1892-95, the palace is situated on the bank of the Mtkvari River in Likani (Georgian: ლიკანი) in Samtskhe-Javakheti region. … Continue reading

About Sights – Vanis Kvabebi Cave Monastery

Vanis Kvabebi (Georgian: ვანის ქვაბები) is a cave monastery in Samtskhe-Javakheti region near the more famous cave city of Vardzia. Begun in the eighth century, the monastery complex consists of 16 levels of cells, storerooms and stair tunnels.  There are two churches in the complex, including a small domed church that clings to the rock … Continue reading

About Sights – Tsalenjikha Cathedral Church of the Transfiguration of Savior

Built in the 12th-14th centuries, the Tsalenjikha Cathedral Church of the Transfiguration of Savior (Georgian: წალენჯიხის მაცხოვრის ფერისცვალების საკათედრო ტაძარი) is located in the town of Tsalenjikha (Georgian: წალენჯიხა) in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region. The cathedral is a central cross-domed church with a narthex (an entrance or lobby area typical of early Christian and Byzantine churches) … Continue reading

About Achievements – Restoration of Kvetera Church

Kvetera Church (Georgian: კვეტერის ეკლესია) is located on the top of a hill within the remaining fragments of the walls of Kvetera Fortress near the town of Akhmeta, in Kakheti region. Built in the early part of the 10th century, it is a relatively small church built of local tuffa stone to a tetraconch design (four-apse cross … Continue reading

About Sights – Alaverdi Cathedral

Alaverdi Monastery (Georgian: ალავერდის მონასტერი) is a Georgian Orthodox monastery located near Telavi in the Alazani-River valley in Kakheti region. Founded by the Assyrian monk Joseph Alaverdeli, the monastery dates to the 6th century but the present day cathedral replaces a smaller church and was built in the 11th century by Kvirike III of Kakheti. … Continue reading

  • Emergencies Control Center in Tbilisi

  • Sarpi Border Checkpoint

  • Shatili - Khevsureti

  • Traditional Tushetian balconied house (“Karseani”).

  • View of Mtskheta from Jvari Monastery

  • The village of Gebi in Svaneti

  • Page from the Illustrated London News dated 1873 - entitled 'Betrothal in Georgia'