About Sights – Khikhani Fortress

Khikhani Fortress (ხიხანის ციხესიმაგრე) in Khulo district of Ajara was built in the 13th century A.D. Inaccessible from three sides, the fortress occupied a strategic position and retained its military function for 700 years. It is believed that the site was originally occupied by a church (the Church of St. George) built in 1230 A.D. … Continue reading