About Sights – Poti Lighthouse
The lighthouse in the port city of Poti (Georgian: ფოთი) in Georgia’s Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region is one of the oldest navigation facilities on the coast of the Black Sea. Made of cast iron, it was constructed in England and transported by steamship to Georgia in 1864.
Ships approach Poti harbor from the north, parallel to the coast, so the lighthouse is located 1930 m south southeast of the front light, close to the beach and beside one of the branches of the Rioni River delta. The lighthouse is active and is maintained by the Georgian State Hydrographic Service.
The spiral staircase inside the lighthouse has 153 steps. There are spectacular views of the city from the top of the lighthouse.
Photos courtesy of the Georgian State Hydrographic Service.
CLICK on the logo to visit GEORGIA ABOUT on Facebook and see photos and news about Georgia. Click LIKE on the page and become a friend of GEORGIA ABOUT.