About Food – Ajapsandali (Georgian Eggplant Stew)

Ajapsandali (Georgian: აჯაფსანდალი) is a Georgian vegetarian dish popular as a family meal.

Ingredients (for 5 servings): 500 grams of potatoes, 600 grams of eggplant (aubergine), 2 large tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of tomato puree, 2 large white onions, 3 green onions, 3 bay leaves, 2 green peppers, 2 red sweet peppers, 3 cloves of garlic, pinch of dry coriander, pinch of red ground pepper, pinch of black ground pepper, a pinch of salt and 50 grams of oil.

Preparation: Remove skin from the tomatoes, peel potatoes and chop all vegetables as shown in the photograph below. Add 3 tablespoons of water to the tomato puree and mix.

Put the chopped potatoes, chopped onion, chopped eggplant and 3 bay leaves into a large pan and then add oil. Putting oil in last helps to ensure coverage.

Cover the pan and cook on a medium heat, stirring several times until the vegetables become soft.

Remove the lid, add chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir and re-cover.

After 3 minutes add the chopped green and red peppers, garlic, coriander, red and black pepper and salt. Stir,  re-cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Serving: Add garnish of chopped green onions and enjoy your delicious Ajapsandali!

About these ads
Comments
15 Responses to “About Food – Ajapsandali (Georgian Eggplant Stew)”
  1. Jodi Stone says:

It looks delish. I may have to try this one!!

2. You really have a gift for photography!

3. puzzle says:

the coriander-thing is interesting! must try soon.

4. Yummo – Bubba and I are definitely going to try this, we’re always on the lookout for new vegetarian dishes!

5. Shary Hover says:

Sounds delicious! And I love your photos of all the ingredients… they’re attractive and helpful. Thanks!

6. Dianda says:

Hmmm,, Delicous!

7. Michelle says:

I adore ajapsandali, and have been on a hunt for a decent recipe after eating it in a Georgian restaurant. Thanks for posting this!

8. Magda Kopaladze says:

I grew up eating this dish (I’m half Georgian) and I absolutely love it! It’s definitely in my top 3 Georgian dishes :D though who am I kidding, all Georgian dishes are delicious!!