About Sights – Samtavisi Cathedral
Samtavisi (Georgian: სამთავისი) is an eleventh-century Georgian Orthodox cathedral in the region of Shida Kartli. Heavily damaged by a series of earthquakes, the cathedral was partially reconstructed in the 15th and 19th centuries.
Built in 1030 by the architect Ilarion Samtavneli, the cathedral is remarkable for the beauty of its proportions and refinement of carving on the facades.
Within the grounds of the Cathedral there are the remains of a dwelling (the so-called bishop’s palace). At the entrance to the enclosure stands a gate belfry of the late feudal period.
The dome and the western wall were re-built In the 15th century,
How to get there? Samtavisi is situated some 45 km from Tbilisi, on the left bank of the Lekhura River, about 11 km from the town of Kaspi.
- About Celebrations – ‘Svetitskhovloba’ (georgiaabout.com)