Mutso (Georgian: მუცო) is one of the former Khevsur strongholds of the historic Georgian province of Khevsureti (now part of Mtskheta-Mtianeti region) in north-eastern Georgia. Its medieval fortified dwellings and towers are arranged on vertical terraces above the Mutso-Ardoti gorge. Recent restoration work by the National Agency for Cultural Heritage Preservation will help to preserve … Continue reading
The beautiful Christmas illuminations in Tbilisi’s central streets. All photos courtesy of Tbilisi City Hall CLICK on the logo to visit GEORGIA ABOUT on Facebook and see photos and news about Georgia. Click LIKE on the page and become a friend of GEORGIA ABOUT.
The Kutaisi Botanical Garden (Georgian: ქუთაისის ბოტანიკური ბაღი) in the city of Kutaisi (Georgian: ქუთაისი) in Georgia’s Imereti region was established in the mid-19th century and contains about 700 plant species of trees and shrubs. After the National Botanical Garden of Georgia in Tbilisi the Kutaisi Botanical Garden is the second of the earliest botanic … Continue reading
Many of Tbilisi’s traditional buildings are beautifully illuminated at night. Photos courtesy of ‘სინათლის ქალაქი’. CLICK on the logo to visit GEORGIA ABOUT on Facebook and see photos and news about Georgia. Click LIKE on the page and become a friend of GEORGIA ABOUT.
A statue of Oliver Wardrop and his sister, Marjory Wardrop can be found at the park behind the Parliament building in Tbilisi. Sir John Oliver Wardrop KBE CMG was a British diplomat, traveler and translator, known best for his role as Great Britain’s first Chief Commissioner of Transcaucasus in Georgia (1919–21), and also as the founder and … Continue reading
The Café Fantasy (Georgian: კაფე ფანტაზია) or the Octopus (რვაფეხა) was a coffeehouse situated in the seaside city of Batumi on Georgia’s Black Sea coast. Completed in 1975, it became a popular meeting point for both Batumi residents and visitors. During the Soviet period visitors to the Octopus could buy freshly brewed coffee, ice-cream and … Continue reading
Tbilisi’s Old Town (Georgian: ძველი თბილისი) is one of the oldest parts of the city and nestles on the mountainside under Narikala fortress (Georgian: ნარიყალა). The Old Town is part of the Tbilisi Historic District and contains a number of officially designated monuments, churches, cobbled streets and picturesque pastel colored wooden houses with open, carved … Continue reading
The Martvili Canyons (Georgian: მარტვილის კანიონი) in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region are named after the nearby town of Martvili. The spectacular canyons, caves and waterfalls were formed over time by the Abasha River and feature beautiful green and blue colors. A boatman can be hired to take you through the quieter stretches of the canyons. How … Continue reading
Historic Dartlo village – located in Tusheti (Georgian: თუშეთი) in north-eastern Georgia – is the focus of new restoration work that will repair many of the buildings in the village and restore traditional features, such as slate roofs. The restoration of 28 houses within the current stage is set to be completed later this year. … Continue reading
Konstantine Gamsakhurdia (Georgian: კონსტანტინე გამსახურდია) is considered to be one of the most influential Georgian novelists of the 20th century and is known for such works as The Right Hand of the Grand Master and David the Builder. A museum housing a collection of memorabilia related to Gamsakhurdia was established in 1987 in his home village … Continue reading
Tbilisi National Park (Georgian: თბილისის ეროვნული პარკი) is located to the north of the city of Tbilisi and covers an area of 243 square kilometers (94 sq mi). The historical town of Mtskheta lies just outside of the western boundary of the park. The park was established in 1973 and is the oldest national park … Continue reading
Located at a height of 3,653 m on Mount Kazbegi (Georgian: ყაზბეგის მყინვარწვერი), Bethlemi Hut is the highest located building in Georgia. Originally constructed of wood in 1933, it was designed as a shelter for climbers. In 1941, a stone building replaced the wooden one and served as a climber’s shelter and meteorological station. Annually, … Continue reading
The statue of Neptune in front of Batumi Drama Theater in the city of Batumi was erected in 2010. The statue and its fountain is a copy of the Fountain of Neptune in the Piazza del Nettuno in the town of Bologna in Italy. The original sculpture was completed by the Flemish sculptor Giambologna in 1567. The statue was gold-plated in 2011. Four … Continue reading
Ilia Chavchavadze is widely regarded as one of the founding fathers of modern Georgia. Revered as Pater Patriae (Father of the Fatherland) of Georgia, he spearheaded the revival of the Georgian national movement in the second half of the 19th century. A monument to Chavchavadze was erected in the city of Batumi on Georgia’s Black Sea coast … Continue reading
The colorful, illuminated fountain in Rustavi City Hall Square in the city of Rustavi (Georgian: რუსთავი) in Kvemo Kartli region is one example of the transformation that has occurred in Georgia’s third largest city. Founded in the 5th–4th centuries B.C. Rustavi is one of the ancient towns of Georgia. Completely destroyed by a Mongol army in … Continue reading
The lighthouse in the port city of Poti (Georgian: ფოთი) in Georgia’s Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region is one of the oldest navigation facilities on the coast of the Black Sea. Made of cast iron, it was constructed in England and transported by steamship to Georgia in 1864. Ships approach Poti harbor from the north, parallel to … Continue reading