About Dogs – The Life of a Caucasian Shepherd Dog Living in Georgia

Born in a mountain monastery, Bassa is a huge Caucasian Shepherd dog living with the English author of Georgia About blog in the Georgian capital of Tbilisi. In 2011, he started writing Bassa’s Blog to record their life in this little known country that sits at the crossroads of Europe and Asia. Much to his surprise, their comical adventures and whimsical take on life attracted thousands of followers and many awards, including a Bronze Award from MyTravelMoney.co.uk in the category of Top 5 Funniest Travel Blogs (2012).

The author of Georgia About blog has now written an eBook about his life with Bassa, the Caucasian Shepherd dog. Available from Amazon, it is written from Bassa’s perspective and is a collection of anecdotes, photos and observations of Bassa’s life in Tbilisi in the country of Georgia.

It might just make you look at your world (and your dog) in a completely different way!

CLICK on the picture for more information.

bassa's world cover image

Comments
21 Responses to “About Dogs – The Life of a Caucasian Shepherd Dog Living in Georgia”
  1. bonniegoodfriend@yahoo.com says:

My husband and I are devoted followers of Bassa Caucasian Shepherd. She reminds us of our Charlie Caucasian Ovcharka who we lost several years ago. Gone but not forgotten Bassa fills the void until another Ovcharka comes into our lives.

Bonnie
    Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

• Hi Bonnie. Thank you for your very lovely message. I am sorry to hear about Charlie. Caucasians are wonderful dogs – larger than life and absolutely magnificent. Life would not be the same without Bassa.

• sonny says:

Hi , Georgia About

I am looking to buy a Caucasian Shepherd puppy of a very high pedigree and lineage. Could you please recommend a great breeder in Georgia ?

• Bassa's Blog says:

Bassa came from the monastery at Tabakini. The monks there breed Caucasian Shepherds. They have a website that has an English language section but I tried the link today and the website is unavailable so I’m not sure if they still breed dogs. Perhaps you could contact the kennel club of Georgia for recommendations for breeders: :http://www.fcg.ge/eng/ You might also check out Caucasian Shepherd dog/Ovcharka pages on Facebook. There are a number of groups and breeders often advertise puppies for sale. Let me know how you get on with your search.

• sonny says:

Also I wanted to know , what is the average weight / height of an adult Caucasian shepherd in Georgia and also how many inches tall is Bassa at the whithers ?

• Bassa's Blog says:

Weight is in the range of 99-154 pounds (45-70 kg). The desirable height for males is in the range of 72 – 75 cm, for females 66 – 69 cm. I have never measured Bassa but she is large for a female, which is not surprising as her father is huge.

• sonny says:

Ive read similar articles. To be honest with you there is a lot of confusion regarding caucasian shepherds as wikipedia states that Caucasian shepherds from Georgia grow to be 85 cm in height and weigh almost a 190 pounds ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_Shepherd ) However others have rubbished such claims. Yet others tell me caucasian shepherds nowadays grow to be even 90 cm + at the shoulders and weight over 200 pounds yet I think they might be lying. So I am not sure so I felt that people living in Georgia might have the best Idea. Is the georgian mountains dog / shepherd a different breed from the caucasian shepherd ?

• Bassa's Blog says:

I agree. There is a lot of confusion. I have always found this website to be very useful: http://vbocaucasian.com/ The Georgian Mountain dog is the same as a Caucasian Shepherd. We have both the long hair and short hair versions here.

2. onecoolgriff says:

My mom and I have so enjoyed Bassa’s commentary as she stolls through the streets of Tbilisi. Bassa never ceases to give me food for thought or to tickle my funny bone with her wonderful (and sometimes zany) views of her encounters with “ordinary” things. Of course, as much as I thank Bassa for all the fun, I also thank the tall man for helping guide her on this wonderful journey. We look forward to reading your new book.

• Thank you (and your mom) for the lovely comments about ‘Bassa’s World’. I am so pleased that you enjoyed it! I wish you a very happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

3. MysteryCoach says:

Congratulations Bassa! :)

4. tbnranch says:

Good for you! I will check this out. :)

5. Chancy and Mumsy (Mag) says:

This is wonderful news…will the book ever be in book form to purchase? Hugs

6. 2browndawgs says:

Best of luck with the e-book!

7. Best wishes with the e-book! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!
    God Bless You!